The cupola at the time of Schmucker Hall served as a observation deck for both sides during the battle. After the collapse of the Union line on McPherson Ridge there was a rally on Seminary Ridge, but the Union troops wwere quickly overwhelmed here too and had to fall back to East Cemetery Hill. Schmucker Hall is now home to the Seminary Ridge Museum and the cupola is now open for tours.
Robert E Lee used Mary Thompson’s home for his headquarters. The house and Quality Inn were purchased by the Civil War Trust for 5.5 million the dollars. The inn will be demolished and house restored to its 1863 appearance.